Welcome to my Never Quit Climbing blog

A practical, inspirational blog designed to encourage and give hope to people who are climbing mountains of rock and granite or ones life has put in their way.

Saturday, February 9, 2013

Overcoming, Like Climbing, Is Always Risky

I remember one of my first attempts at any serious rock climbing. A group of young dads had taken one of our kids out to Colorado for a four-day weekend adventure.  One of those days included some climbing and rappelling all under the tutelage of some experienced guides.

The main route that they had set up for us was pretty challenging, at least for us, and we spent a good part of the day doing the route or watching others tackle it. But after a while, the guides told us there were a couple of other routes we could try if we wanted a little more challenge. So a friend of mine, a body builder, strong-as-an-ox kind of guy, and I decided we would go for a little more.

He started up the one route as I looked on. And I saw him struggle significantly, especially at one point in his climb, but eventually he made it. So now it was my turn. And sure enough I got to the same place where he had difficulty and saw no way to make it any further. To do so would require a significant go-for-it moment that I was pretty sure I was not going to succeed in doing.

Of course I was safely roped in.  Missing the move wouldn't kill me but it might mess big time with my pride and personhood. Nonetheless, my friend encouraged me on. And within a few minutes I was touching the top of the ledge with a big smile on my face and some new confidence and pride in my soul.

A lot of us as we climb through life may find ourselves stalled because of big challenges or moves in front of us. We may feel like turning back or giving up. The risk might seem high and perhaps it is.  But will you ever get to the next step of your journey if you don't try?  Could you be missing out on a level of satisfaction, happiness and fulfillment that you would never have by staying put?

Even in your difficulties what will be the benefits of turning back or giving up?  There aren't many, if any.

What keeps you from going on?  Fear? Lack of confidence? Past failures? Pride?  Don't let those things paralyze you.

This week, this month, this year, take a healthy risk that you haven't taken before.  Try something new, meet some new people, go serve someone else, go for it. Let the encouragements of friends spur you on but trust the power of the rope - God, others, past successes.  Remember the view from the top is worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment